Saturday, September 25, 2010

Kensington Gardens

Today was a pretty great day. After sleeping in, Claire and I took the tube to Kensington Gardens, home of the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain and the famous Peter Pan Statue. The Gardens are beautiful, although lacking flowers for the most part but then again, it is turning into fall around here. 
You can rent these nice lawn chairs to enjoy the sun in. 

I think this is the Princess Di Memorial Fountain, but there is some debate.

The Peter Pan Statue! 

I loved how all the birds were lined up, one on each post.

The Gardens were full of beautiful trees.

One of which Claire and I climbed.

And of course there are inviting paths all over the place. 

The gardens are a nice oasis from the city and are actually connected to Hyde Park but I still haven't made it into the park yet. I will eventually. 

After returning to the flat I booked my flight to visit some family friends in Annecy, France. I'm very excited to meet Annabelle, her husband Matt, and their baby Yuna. I'll be out there the first weekend of November. 

Later this evening Hilary and I went to Prince Charles Cinema, an old, restored movie theatre. The lobby was not impressive so we weren't expecting much from the theatre itself but man were we wrong. The screen isn't huge and the seats aren't stadium style but every seat is upholstered in leather! We saw the 1927, silent move, Metropolis. We didn't realize it would be silent, we were just expecting an old, black and white movie, but it was really cool to see a movie in which you have to rely on the music, the actors expressions, and the occasional subtitles. We both really enjoyed it and finding the Cinema lead us into China town which we will be returning to soon. I didn't get any pictures of Prince Charles Cinema or China town but I may go back, we'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment