Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Florence

Day 2

My second morning in Florence, John and I went to the Galleria Academia, the home of Michaelangelo's David. He, just like everything else I'd seen, was awesome. The veins in his hands and legs are perfectly visible, his muscles defined, every detail expertly executed. David seemed flawless. 
You are not allowed to take pictures inside the museum so I have nothing to show you. The museum itself is really just a place to keep David. The other art inside is not important and I'm pretty sure everybody else skips it, heads straight for David, then leaves. John and I at least took a look around but we both agreed that the only reason to go was to see the famous sculpture.

After grabbing lunch with John we met up with the other guys outside the Duomo to all climb to the top together.
The climb really isn't that bad. Halfway up you get to walk around scaffolding near the ceiling of the Basilica. The paintings were beautiful. You may be noticing a trend here, everything in Italy is beautiful. 

 The view from the top was just like the lookout, we could see the whole city. Here I am with the guys.
L-R: Chase, Hayes, John, and Nick.
 After spending quite a bit of time at the top of the Duomo we started to walk across town towards the old Medici Palace. Hayes took us on a detour past Dante's old church and flat.
 We also passed this picture perfect market.
When we arrived at the Palace, we discovered that the prices were a bit steep for our shallow wallets. We ended up just sitting in the courtyard, enjoying the fact that we were in Florence.
That afternoon I wandered around a bit more on my own, the town is so small that I already knew where I was going and had seen all the major buildings. The Duomo definitely became my favorite structure of all the ones I had seen on my trip.
We met up at Zaza's, a well known restaurant in Florence, for John and Hayes last dinner in Florence. I had a delicious pizza and we called it a night.
I realized that night, after only being in Florence for two days that it felt much more like home than London ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment