Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Florence

Day 3

While in Italy I had a little mission for myself. See the three most famous sculptures of David. Friday morning I headed to the Bargello Galleria to complete my quest. So far I had accidentally come across Bernini's statue in Rome and just the day before I went to see Michaelangelo's. Friday morning I went to see Donatello's David.
Nick, Chase and I decided to go our separate ways on Friday since we had been around each other practically non stop for the last week, thus I was heading to the Bargello alone and it suited me just fine.
I found the museum easily since I had somehow made a fairly complete map of Florence in my head after only two days. I was a little disappointed to find that a third of the museum was closed but that was ok, I came for Donatello. 
The third David was a lot bigger than I was expecting. He is smaller than the other two but for some reason, the pictures I had seen of him made me think he was only a couple feet high, instead he was about double that. Again, I have no picture to share with you. Almost all museums throughout the world do not allow photography in order to protect the art from deterioration. 

After I left the museum I headed to the plaza outside the old Medici Palace to eat a solitary lunch and people watch. While I was enjoying the best pizza I experienced in Italy, a group of four American tourists sat next to me and struck up a conversation. They seemed concerned about the fact that I was eating alone. Although the group was very friendly, I was amazed at how little regard they had for the history that surrounded them. They were only in Florence for the afternoon and all they wanted to know was where the best shopping was. I told them about the Duomo and the Medici palaces and all the best things to see in their short time span but I'm pretty sure the only sight they visited per my recommendation was the old bridge, you know, the one lined with expensive jewelry shops.

I was happy to leave the tourists behind as I made my way across the river to explore more of Florence that I hadn't seen yet. I ended up climbing the stairs in the picture above and then taking a walk along a quiet road with Tuscan houses and beautiful views. 



Eventually I realized that instead of heading parallel to the center of Florence like I thought, I was walking due south, directly away from town. I headed back to the old Medici Palace square and bought myself some gelato. I discovered at this point that I looked like I had Florence all figured out. The day before I was stopped by a couple who needed directions to the train station, which I happily gave them. Now, a couple was watching me order gelato in order to understand how to order and what they would get. I noticed them watching me so I explained to them what they would get at the different prices, number of flavors and scoops and let them in on a little known fact: you can sample flavors. 

I sat with my gelato in the raised sculpture plaza in the square and settled in to listen to the guitarist playing nearby. According to Hayes, he has been playing in Florence for at least the past four years. I really enjoyed just being in Florence. I didn't feel the need to be seeing anything that afternoon, I was ready to relax and soak up my surroundings. 

That evening, my last in Florence, Nick and I went to a nicer restaurant, La Rotunda, that was recommended to me by my art history professor. As suggested, I ordered the balsamic steak. It was delicious but definitely not for anyone who doesn't like the taste of balsamic vinaigrette. 

Saturday was just a long day of making our way back to London. It involved a train, a bus, a plane, another bus, a ride on the underground, and finally a bit of walking, but we made it back eventually. We were all glad to be back but I know I'm missing Italy already.


No comments:

Post a Comment